Thursday, 14 May 2015

Where I run

After encouragement from Ms. Moon, here's some photos of where I run. I love this place very dearly, not in the least because of this:


See that? No dogs or bikes allowed. Because that is how antisocial I am. I prefer my run without two-wheelers or dog poo to tread in. I have never been jumped by a rottweiler or had my leg ridden by a chihuahua there. Bliss! (I think I just lost half my readers there. Tough potatoes.) (Also no snakes, alligators, vultures, or giant spiders. Very unlike Ms. Moon's walks.)

The start of my run has these to distract me:



and I need distraction, until I finally get to my one kilometer bench. Before that, I'm wondering why the fuck am I out here, about to have a heart attack, and surely there are easier ways to kill myself. After the 1k bench, I'm happily coasting along, listening to music, loving being out and in my park, breathing in deeply - just now I'm breathing mostly yellow rhododendron, as they are in bloom all over (see further down). Next week, I will be breathing purple rhododendron.

1k bench on the right,
left and right windy bits
This is my favourite part of the run. Partly because I will finally find my 'groove' and feel happy, and partly because the path winds through the trees here in the most delightful way.

Ha! Flowers, just because I can:




2k roundabout:


The first time I ran the 2k roundabout 'the far way around' marked the day I first saw myself as 'a runner'.

The yellow rhododendron in bloom:


Forest road. They like to plant trees in neat rows around here:


Amazing red tree, 3k bench in the distance:


Rabbits basking in the sun:


Cow with five crows on its back:


Purple rhododendrons will be everywhere soon. Right now, most of them are still pure potential:


 Rabbit running away from scary camera woman:


End of run:




It was funny. I quite liked being out, taking 530(!) photos. (You thought that was a lot of photos? Just think how bad that could have been.) However, I could not switch my brain off, and felt like I was where I should be exercising, but instead I'm sitting on my knees in front of a patch of pretty flowers. I kept being disappointed that I saw no deer or squirrels to take a photo of. It didn't take me long to realise that I should have been running - then my mind can't stray too far, and I feel like I'm making the most of my time outside the house. Still, interesting experiment, and I may repeat it, on non running days, until I learn to keep my mind stiller and with the images.

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm quite chuffed with how they came out.

      Delete
  2. I think nice scenery is essential for running (admittedly I'm not convinced my pink faced sweaty self adds to the scene positively but....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous. A run I could enjoy sitting down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it that way. Maybe I will skip going out of the house like now.

      Delete
  4. I know that 1km feeling well but it lasts for 3km with me LOL lovely run route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went today, and it was best after 4k. Freaky. And then I had to stop.

      Delete
  5. I hate running with a passion, but that does look like a lovely route! Particularly the no bikes/no dogs part, because I can be antisocial too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate all other sports. :-) I got there by elimination.

      Delete
  6. I'm still trying to be a runner, and I'm not very good at it yet. I am starting to get a little better, which is making me proud. This is really beautiful. Makes me think maybe I should change where I run. I usually go to the boardwalk in Austin, which is usually crowded with children and dogs and bikers and lots of people taking selfies. Maybe I get irritated at all of them and that's why i hate running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe it's because it's ridiculously hot your way! I prefer it when it's about ten degrees Celcius - does it ever even get that cold where you are? I must go look that up. I'm so ignorant.

      Delete
  7. Ah crud, my comment didn't stick.

    It's so beautiful. I feel so very grateful for places like this, they're incredibly life enhancing. And no offence re the dogs - dog shit is totally disgusting and I don't get how people are content to leave it on or by a path.

    BUT, also, I am very happy to keep my unofficial dog-park walking space for dogs, not joggers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine. We don't like to move aside for people. You want to have a leisurely chat with your other dog lovers and not be disturbed by sweaty weirdos staring at you so you'll get out the way. :-)

      Delete
  8. Wow. What a beautiful place. SO MUCH better than running on a treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. InziAteMyParatha18 May 2015 at 01:24

    Beautiful route! Looks very motivating, and, what is even more important, flat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing your route :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, make my day!